Saturday, December 03, 2005

Cili Padi

cili padi ?


Took this picture on my way back from uni. liked how it went in a bunch in very sharp red and green colour.

Anyway, was really surprised to find this here in Japan in a normal Japanese 's garden. Afterall, the food here has never reached the level of how I defined 'spicy' even if it's written superduper spicy on the menu. :p and if this is what I think it is, it's supposed to be a very spicy kind of chili. The colour and the shape really matches to cili padi, but the way how it's in a bunch, it doesn't really look like what I find in mum's garden back home. hmm.

But seeing it reminds me so much of Malaysian food, which I really miss at the moment. No doubt, I like Japanese food too. But, it's different from Malaysian food. Very different, I would say. In the healthy sense, Japanese food takes the lead, of course! And, I love sushis, sashimis, tofus, and all. On the other hand, Malaysian food satisfies the toungue to every senses. Roti Canai, rojak, bak kut teh, cendol, dim sum, mee goreng, hokkien mee....... etc. ooooh! just everything! Having 3 main races in the country does help a lot in increasing the variety of food. Some originating from their respective homelands a very long time ago and then 'malaysian-ised' and some created uniquely from the blend of the 3 main races.

Food, is definitely one thing I miss about Malaysia. And, one thing I would always recommend to foreigners. :)




Fact:
Cili Padi obviously comes from the 'chili' family. known to be tinier than the usual chili but much more spicier! It's one of the widely used ingredients in Malaysian cooking, and I believe many other southeast asian cooking too.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a nice pic again! :)

well, i guess this isn't chili. once, my mom had a plant with something that looks like chili in her garden. Since i love chili, i asked her to give me to cook. then she said that those things like chili were not chili and not for eating. (>_<) unfortunately, she forgot the name of the plant.

by the way, it's been a while since I haven't the eaten malaysian foods you cook. I'm missing them!! :P

Sugar said...

thanks yurika! :)

I was hoping that maybe a japanese could tell me whether it was chili or not. hmm. maybe I would just steal some home the next time. hehe. then we will all know!

Anonymous said...

hey sue!

check this web-site!
http://www.asterisk-web.com/ritz/garden/pepper/flowerpepper.html

Anonymous said...

Dear Sue,

Understand your feeling thoroughly. Never deny, Malaysian food is the best. And even your mom home cook dishes is simply the best too, esp when are gotta study or work abroad. Japanese's food is superb! but u miss ur hometown's taste... I know that it's not easy to stay alone out of ur home n country. But this's not impossible! Let's convert this into a positive energy! gambate!

Sugar said...

Dear 'anonymous' :p

would have been better if i could address you by your name. :)

anyway, I guess it goes the same for everyone, doesn't it? that you will always miss the 'taste of home' when abroad, working or studying. But indirectly, it reminds me too that I have to appreciate what I have now, coz I know when one day I return home for good, I will be missing Japanese food loads too. :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Sue,

You are absolutely correct! It's not only limited to food's issue, it can be applied in any single aspects, such as friends, family, peer group and etc.. I seldom take things for granted, i understand that everything happens for a reason, hence, i appreciate every single thing i have...

Kalunzi