Sunday, January 29, 2006

恭喜发财,红包拿来!


Red.

It has always been the official colour of Chinese New Year, or what they call here in Japan '春節祭'.

I never thought that it would feel so festively CNY here too since it's not celebrated by the people here. There was once when the Chinese, Koreans and Japs celebrated new year on the same day, but not anymore. Following the changing of the calendar, the big day for the Japs has been changed to the universal new year - 1st January, since the Meiji Restoration.

Anyway, of course it wasn't a big thing here. The photos above was taken at the Chinatown near my place. But I guess it had been the same for Chinatowns all around the world. I remember my friend once commented that Chinese, instead of fitting themselves into the culture of foreign countries, they always build their own community, bringing in their own culture, and thus bringing the existence of Chinatowns all around the world.

I wonder whether its really becoz Chinese don't take in other ppl's culture or it's just merely becoz Chinese are natural business-minded people? Me as a Chinese myself, although Malaysian Chinese and not Chinese Chinese, I think I can still adapt very well to other people's culture, and of course at the same time, respecting the difference. Isn't it good sometimes to hold on to your own culture but in the mean time learn about others and respecting them? I always thought the respect part is very important, not only for cultures but for religions too.

Anyway anyway, before I drift off, hehe, it's a tradition for Chinese to sit together as a family and have what we call 'reunion dinner' together on new year's eve. So last night it was quite fun to be able to have some chinese food with the other Malaysians here in Osaka. Of course I guess everyone would have enjoyed it better if they were with their family back home, but well, when you are overseas, the only thing you can depend on are friends. And, they become your family.

Happy Chinese New Year. :)

1 comment:

koyi said...

Just to let you know, besides Chinese and Koreans, Vietnamese seem to be celebrating their new year on the same day as Chinese :D

And here is a lyrics from one of Beyond's song, 光辉岁月:

缤纷色彩闪出的美丽,
是因它没有,
分出每种色彩。

The true beauty only shows when there is a mixture of all cultures.

Happy Chinese New Year (^o^)