Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Sukiyaki


sukiyaki

It's all because of you, I'm feeling sad and blue
You went away, now my life is just a rainy day
And I love you so, how much you'll never know
You've gone away and left me lonely...


If you are into english oldies, you'd probably know that it's the lyrics from the song 'sukiyaki', a song (like all other oldies that I like) that has been naturally 'programmed' into me since young. Like some people, I've never really knew what sukiyaki was till when I came here. And seriously, looking at the lyrics now, I really cannot figure out why the song is even named sukiyaki, except that the melody came from the actual Japanese song named sukiyaki スキヤキ. :p

Anyway, afraid of me feeling lonely spending New Year's away from home, my dear host family from Inami invited me to visit them during the 2nd day of New Year. And again, we had a very satisfying 4 hours of sukiyaki. :)

Sukiyaki is one of my favourites here. I don't really think it's the taste that makes it so great. But instead, it's the feeling when eating it. It's practically divided into 2 versions, kanto and kansai. I've never tried the kanto one before, but the kansai one is something like a drier version of steamboat. And when I say drier, I really mean drier. There's not much soup in it since we don't add any water at all when cooking. The 'soup' that you find in it is only from the veges and the sake and shouyu. The reason I said it was similiar to steamboat was because you sit around the table together, throw things in after stir-frying the beef a little together with some shouyu, sake and sugar, and then together everyone waits for it to boil. Like steamboat, you not only get to eat, but you get to talk and joke and enjoy and bond. And the good thing is, there's not much preparation needed. You just wash and cut, and dang dang dang, you've got one nice pot of sukiyaki!

Simple and yummy :)

Do give it a try if you can get your hands on some nice, tender beef! ;)

4 comments:

William Wilson said...

A Taste of Honeyのsukiyakiは懐かしいです:

If only you were here, You'd wash away my tears
The sun would shine and Once again you'd be mine
But in reality, I know it will never be
Cause you took your love away from me, ..

koyi said...

Heard from some japanese friends that this song was named Sukiyaki because the boss of the record company liked Sukiyaki. There is nothing much to do with the cuisine even in the original japanese lyrics...

Sugar said...

koyi,

That's really one piece of information! Funny though. hehe. Anyway, thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

just wanna tell u that this 'sukiyaki' song is also known as 'ue wo muite arukou'上を向いて歩こうfor japanese.