Thursday, April 27, 2006

Backpacking Edinburgh IV

In one word, Edinburgh was beautiful.

And if in two, breathtakingly beautiful.

I must say that I was blessed, that the weather had been perfectly well for the few days I spent strolling through streets of the old and new town of Edinburgh. Everybody knew Edinburgh was famous for its very unstable weather due to its geographical location. Sunny this second, and raining the next. Fortunately when I was there, it had been clear blue skies, with little chunks of clouds scattered out.

Best of all, it was snowing on my last day there. Many would have dreaded the snow, making it wet and muddy all around. But for me, it was just perfect. Edinburgh was already beautiful just the way it was. But, the snow made it beautiful even more.

As many would know, Edinburgh has been listed as a UNESCO world heritage site since 1995. And my trip there reassured me that Edinburgh earned it. What I really loved about Edinburgh was not the castle, nor the national museum. But it was the feeling of walking through the streets of the old town. It just felt so comfortable strolling around. Perhaps it was the weather. Perhaps it was the people. Or perhaps it was just Edinburgh. But one thing for sure, it was cozy, at heart.

And because it was so compact, I didn't really had to decide where to visit today and where the next. Instead, I just left the dorm after consuming as many pieces of toast as I could, and explored the city. The viewpoints up at Calton Hill and Salisbury Crags was superb. The daily consumption of baked potatoes was tasty, even though the shopkeepers English accent was indigestible. The Childhood Museum was fun. And the haggis was an adventure.

In short, I loved it. And no doubt, I will be back. :)


2 comments:

koyi said...

Yeah, you did successfully make me feel like going there :P Although I am kind of stubborn about travelling around, I can see that it is indeed a beautiful city and I should pay it a visit "someday". (But I have been saying that someday I will go visit my relatives in China since a few years ago.. hahaha...) But who knows I might have a chance to visit it our of nowhere :D Life is unpredicted :)

Anyway, nice promotional article.

Sugar said...

sue > koyi

I hope the chance will come to you soon, and that you really made it there :)